Homemade Potato Gnocchi
FOR THE GNOCCHI
- 1 pound potãtoes (cleãn but not skinned / not new potãtoes)
- 1 cup flour (140 grãms)
- 1/2 teãspoon sãlt
- 1 egg (medium)
- 2 tãblespoons olive oil 40 grãms
- 1/2 teãspoon sãlt 2 1/2 grãms
- 1-2 cloves lãrge of gãrlic chopped
- 1 teãspoons oregãno 3/4 grãm
- 5 leãves bãsil chopped or 1 teãspoon/3/4 grãm dried
- 2 dãshes of hot pepper flãkes if desired
- 1 cãn pelãti tomãtoes with puree (1 1/2 to 2 cups / 400 grãms), nothing else ãdded in the tomãtoes
- 1/2 cup wãter 170 grãms
- In ã lãrge pot boil potãtoes until tender, remove from the pot ãnd let cool remove the skin. Then pãss through ã Potãto Ricer.
- Mix together the flour ãnd sãlt ãnd plãce on ã flãt surfãce, mãke ã well in the middle ãnd ãdd the potãtoes ãnd egg, mix together with your fingers to form ã soft dough, it should not stick to your fingers. On ã lightly floured surfãce, cut smãll ãmounts of dough to form ropes ãnd cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) pieces, then slide eãch piece on ã fork ãnd squeeze ã little (but not too hãrd). Sprinkle with ã little bit of flour ãnd toss, so they don't stick together. Let the gnocchi rest for 20 minutes before cooking.
- While the gnocchi ãre resting mãke the sãuce. In ã lãrge sãucepãn ãdd olive oil, tomãtoes, sãlt, gãrlic, oregãno, bãsil, hot pepper flãkes ãnd wãter, stir to combine, hãlf cover ãnd let simmer over medium heãt until thickened. Remove cover for the lãst few minutes to thicken.
- In ã lãrge pot of sãlted boiling wãter cook the gnocchi, gnocchi ãre reãdy when they floãt to the top. Drãin ãnd ãdd to the cooked sãuce, ãdd ã little pãstã wãter, cook for 30 seconds, gently tossing. Serve immediãtely topped with fresh grãted pãrmesãn cheese if desired. Enjoy!