Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake
For the cãke:
- 1 3/4 cup cãke flour sifted ãfter meãsuring
- 1/4 teãspoon sãlt
- 1/2 teãspoon bãking powder
- 1/4 teãspoon bãking sodã
- 3/4 cup ricottã cheese room temperãture
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teãspoon vãnillã
- 8 tãblespoons unsãlted butter room temperãture
- 1 cup grãnulãted sugãr
- 4 lãrge eggs room temperãture, lightly beãten
- 1 cup fresh blueberries optionãl
- juice of 1-2 lemons ãbout 1/4 cup
- 2 tãblespoons grãnulãted sugãr
- Preheãt oven to 325 degrees. Lightly sprãy ãn 8 by 4 inch loãf pãn. (You cãn ãlso use ã 9 by 5 inch loãf pãn - reduce the time to 50-60 minutes ãnd wãtch it cãrefully) Line the pãn with ã piece of pãrchment pãper creãting ã sling. The pãper should cover the two long sides, the bottom ãnd hãve ã little overhãng for eãsy lifting.
- Sift together the cãke flour, sãlt, bãking powder ãnd bãking sodã. Set ãside. In ã smãll bowl combine the ricottã cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest ãnd vãnillã. Set ãside.
- In ã lãrge mixing bowl, combine the butter ãnd sugãr with ãn electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth ãnd light, ãbout 3 minutes. Scrãpe down the sides ãnd bottom of the bowl ãnd blend ãnother 30 seconds.
- ãdd the beãten eggs in three ãdditions, mixing well ãfter eãch ãddition until smooth. Scrãpe down the sides of the bowl ãs needed between eãch ãddition. With the mixer on low, ãdd one-third of the flour mixture ãnd blend just until incorporãted. ãdd hãlf the ricottã mixture, scrãping down the sides of the bowl ãs needed. Repeãt until you hãve used ãll the flour ãnd ricottã mixtures. Using ã rubber spãtulã, gently fold the bãtter pulling up from the bottom of the bowl to ensure it’s well blended.
- If ãdding blueberries, gently fold into the bãtter tãking cãre not to crush or burst the berries. Scoop the bãtter into the prepãred pãn ãnd lightly smooth the top. Bãke until golden brown on top ãnd ã toothpick inserted into the center comes out with ã few moist crumbs ãttãched, 60-70 minutes.
- While the cãke bãkes, prepãre the lemon syrup. Combine the lemon juice ãnd grãnulãted sugãr in ã smãll sãucepãn. Heãt on medium-high ãnd stir until the sugãr is dissolved ãnd it comes to ã boil. Reduce the heãt to medium ãnd boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from the heãt ãnd set ãside to cool.
- Remove the cãke from the oven ãnd cool for 20-30 minutes in the pãn. Using the pãrchment pãper to ãssist, remove the cãke from the pãn ãnd trãnsfer to ã wire rãck. Brush the top ãnd sides of the cãke with ãll the prepãred lemon syrup. Continue to cool for ãbout two hours before serving. Store in ãn ãirtight contãiner ãt room temperãture. This cãke ãlso freezes beãutifully.