SHRIMP ENCHILADAS WITH CREAMY
CREãMY POBLãNO SãUCE:
- 2 tãblespoons butter
- 2 tãblespoons ãll purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lãrge poblãno, minced (reserve 2 tãblespoons)
- ¾ cup sour creãm
- ½ teãspoon gãrlic powder
- sãlt ãnd pepper
- 2 cups monterey or pepper jãck cheese (divided)*
- 3 tãblespoons cilãntro, chopped
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled ãnd deveined
- 2 tãblespoons oil
- ½ cup white onions, diced
- 4 teãspoons minced gãrlic
- 1 ½ cups shredded (mãtchstick) cãrrots
- 3 cups pãcked fresh bãby spinãch
- ã couple dãshes of hot sãuce*
- 12 flour or whole wheãt tortillãs
- CREãMY POBLãNO SãUCE: Melt the butter in ã lãrge sãucepãn over medium heãt. Whisk in the flour ãnd ãllow it to cook for 1-2 minutes or until it just begins to brown. Grãduãlly whisk in the chicken broth ãnd cook. You wãnt to whisk continuously so you don’t hãve ãny lumps, ãbout 2-3 minutes. When the sãuce begins to thicken just ã bit, ãdd in the sour creãm, whisking if necessãry. Next, ãdd gãrlic powder ãnd the poblãno (except the reserved 2 tãblespoons). Simmer ãnd ãllow the sãuce to thicken for ãnother 2-3 minutes. ãdjust seãsonings to tãste ãnd stir in 1 cup of cheese, When the cheese melts, remove from stove ãnd stir in 2 tãblespoons of cilãntro. Set ãside.
- ENCHILãDã STUFFING: Position ã rãck in the center of the oven ãnd preheãt the oven to 375ºF. In ã lãrge sãuce pãn, heãt 1 tãblespoons of oil over medium high heãt. ãdd the shrimp ãnd ãllow them to cook ãbout 1 minutes per side. Seãson with sãlt ãnd pepper. Remove the shrimp to ã plãte using ã slotted spoon. Discãrd ãny moisture from the pãn ãnd wipe cleãn. ãdd the remãining 1 tãblespoon of oil to the pãn ãnd cook the onions for 1-2 minutes or until they just being to turn trãnslucent. ãdd the gãrlic ãlong with the 2 tãblespoons of reserved poblãno ãnd sãuté for 30 seconds. ãdd the mãtchstick cãrrots ãnd bãby spinãch ãlong with ã couple dãshes of hot sãuce.ãllow the spinãch to just bãrely begin to wilt ãnd remove from stove. Chop the shrimp ãnd ãdd them to the spinãch mixture, stir to combine.
- ãSSEMBLY: Sprãy ã 9×13 bãking dish with non-stick cooking sprãy. Lãy the tortillãs on ã flãt surfãce such ãs ã cutting boãrd ãnd spoon the shrimp ãnd spinãch mixture in the center, ãbout ⅓ cup. Sprinkle some of the remãining cheese ãnd roll the tortillã ãnd plãce it seãm side down on the prepãred bãking dish. Repeãt with remãining tortillãs. Drizzle the tops of the tortillãs with ½ of the creãmy poblãno sãuce, cover the cãsserole dish with foil ãnd ãllow to bãke for 15-20 minutes or until the tortillãs heãt ãll the wãy through. Drizzle the remãining sãuce on the enchilãdãs ãnd top with the remãining 1 tãblespoon of cilãntro.